Our edible plant hikes, introduce you to the native, edible foods, in the forests of Kananaskis. Each hike takes you to a different eco-system to build your plant knowledge and discover the wisdom of plant communities in Aspen, Pine and Spruce forests and creek-side habitats.
On our edible plant hikes, you will learn:
- To read the health of a plant community and the best season to collect the plant part that you want
- Safe identification of a handful of native edible plants
- A variety of historic and current uses of these plants.
- The relationship animals have to plants and the role of the plant in the eco-system.
- Recognize the plant’s habitat and where to find them.
- How to be safe in the woods while foraging
Your certified Professional Guide brings deep wilderness awareness skills, wilderness first aid training and safe group management skills, as well as respectful, cultural practices.
May 16 - Long Prairie Ridge, Sandy McNabb May 31 - Eagle Hill, Sibbald flats June 7 - Yamnuska, Bow Valley Prov. Park. July 11 - Dyson Falls, Sandy McNabb July 19 - Black Prince Cirque, Peter Lougheed Prov. Park Sept 13 - Grass Pass, the Highwood
All hikes are easy to moderate in length and distance, roughly 4 to 8 km.
Price per person per hike: $95